Thursday, March 31, 2011

Question 5

"What type of accommodation do you have in Zambia?"

My "home" on the base has changed quite a bit over the last 5 years. The majority of it has spent living in two very different types of tents. For the first 2 years, I stayed in a little 3-man "A" frame tent, which was quite cozy. There wasn't much room for anything but my sleeping mat and clothes, but it was home. As our base grew, new tents were built for those staying long term on the base (staff and amt students). They're called safari tents and are the 5 star equivalent of tent living. I lived in this for 2 and half years and loved it. My tent was on the edge of the gorge, had a bed, and even wicker wardrobe. Every night I would fall asleep to the sound of the Zambezi river. This past year, I was extremely blessed to be moved into a real house. Solid walls and all! While I loved my tent, it's great to have a place that feels more permanent and like a real home. I'm still working on decorating it, which will be one of my personal projects when I get back. However, I still use tents whenever staying overnight in the villages. Don't want you to think I've gone soft! ;-)

2 comments:

Nicole McKenzie said...

Hey I recognize those cool kids! :)

LauraOM said...

yeah... that team was a pretty cool team ;-) love ya