Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Question 1

"What is the weirdest thing you've ever eaten?"

This is the most common question I think every missionary is asked. The answer really depends on what your definition is weird. Two meals that come to mind is the one night we had hippo curry and the local dish called kapenta.

The story about the hippo curry is that we live on the Batoka Gorge, overlooking the Zambezi river. Certain times of the year (when the river is high) animals will wash over Victoria Falls and usually end up at our base. This one instance, a hippo was found (dead) in the gorge and the local villagers butchered up the meat. A portion was
given to our base which was served in the form of a curry that evening. I can't say it's my favorite meat but it wasn't terrible. :)

The local dish, kapenta, is a small, dried fish served. It's cooked in oil with onions and
tomatoes. Many people can't get over the little eyes staring at you from your plate. I just can't stand the salty, fishy taste that they have. However, if you enjoy sardines then you'll probably like these.

I did have goat heart in a village last year, which I really enjoyed!

Keep the questions coming! Send them through the comments, email, facebook, or twitter!

3 comments:

Rachie said...

Love this! :) What about those little caterpillar delicacies they serve in some villages? Didn't you eat one of those once, or was that Renee? :o)
P.S. - I have been meaning to return your call! I am free Saturday afternoon so I'll call you then. Was so nice to hear from you the other day. Sorry I missed you! <3

Emily said...

Was it chewy? I've always imagined Hippo would be chewy...=0)

LauraOM said...

Em, the hippo was a bit chewy if I remember right. it's been awhile.

Rachel, what you're talking about are called mapani worms. I've never had them but have seen them in the markets.