Thursday, November 29, 2007

A Day in the Life...

Of a Rapid 14 Base Staff Member!

I thought I'd share with you all about what an average day as a base staff member here on Rapid 14 is like. My role with Overland interchanges with being base staff, expedition leader, and personal assistant. I'll post examples of my days for the other roles sometime in the future.

7:30 am- Wake up and hit snooze on my alarm at least twice... a bad habit from college.

7:45 am- shower

8:00 am- breakfast which typically consists of bread, tea/coffee, and the occasional oatmeal/porridge or cereal (sometimes we treat ourselves to eggs, pancakes, or french toast but on rare occasions)

8:00 am- Personal morning devotions, staff planning for the day

9:30 am- typical start of work day
The work days can find me in town doing supply runs, working on trucks in the warehouse, or doing administration in the office

12:30 pm- Lunch. The meal is usually nshima (local corn meal which resembles mashed potatoes but doesn't taste anything like... well anything) and a relish (beans, cabbage, eggplant, or kapenta (tiny dried and fried fish- not my favorite!).

1:30 pm- resume work projects
Usually by now your plan for the day has been tossed out of the window by either something breaking down, new and urgent projects coming up, rain, and/or town battles

4:30 pm- Work day ends for the local workers on the base

5:30 pm- Start preparing dinner

7:00 pm- Generator goes on and everyone logs onto the Internet and Skype

7:30 pm- Dinner

10:30 pm- Generator goes off. Everyone goes to their tents to read and/or sleep


So that's a typical work day on the base. Not as thrilling sounding but it's actually fun in a strange sort of way. I have one to thing to say and that there's never a lack of work to do around here. For example, here are few of the projects I am currently working on:
~ Pulling and fixing the clutch line on my overland truck
~ replacing the oil pan on my overland truck
~ oil changes on all the vehicles
~ end of the year accounting
~ Cleaning and organizing the warehouse
~ cooking dinner every Friday
~ coming up with decorating ideas for Christmas for the main center- very fun! :)

Hope that gives an idea of what my days have been like since expeditions ended in September! God bless!

No comments: