Saturday, November 24, 2007

A Plague of Snakes


Okay well maybe not really a plague. Today I was in the warehouse continuing work on my truck, Maverick, and found a decent sized snake visiting me... of course posionous. The guys were saying it was a green mamba but the description doesn't match. Either way, I ran and got some of the workers to kill it for me. Can I just express how much I hate snakes. I really, really hate them. It's not that they're gross or anything but the fact is that if one bites you, it can kill you very quickly. Here in Africa, it dangerous because you'll have to drive the 20-30 minutes into town to the private clinic, wait for a jet, and get flown to south africa to get the antivenom administered. It's a long process which I never want to go through or see anyone go through. Sheesh! Praise God, though, cause no one has ever been bitten with Overland Missions. We have the protection of the Lord on our lives!
Many of you might be wondering whatever happened with my Thanksgiving Day plans. Well, we didn't end up celebrating. Things here got too busy and we decided that it would be too big of a mission to cook the large dinner. I've found it funny trying to explain the american tradition of Thanksgiving to my African friends here in Zambia. They understand the giving thanks part of the holiday but i think that americans have turned the focus onto the meal, which they pointed out to me as I was explaining the holiday. Oops! ;-)

No comments: