Sunday, November 18, 2007

The Ups and Downs


Every job in life has its ups and downs, and being a full time missionary is included. There is nothing I would rather be doing in life, and the Gospel is my passion, but I could deal without the cultural stereotypes. First of all, being a woman in ministry is tough here, much less being a single woman in ministry. Some have no problems in being under authority to a woman, but there are some who can be quite disrespectful. They definately let you know that they don't agree with your position. It's one of those things you have to learn to not take personally and let roll off your back. Nevertheless, it is a reality and something I'm learning to address and hopefully see change. I would love to see more women pursuing studies in ministry, and to pursue whatever God has put on their hearts. There is nothing we cannot do because we have Christ living within us!
Take me for example. My friend Maureen, one of our staff from Malwai, and I were discussing the other day that I am one of the strangest and most interesting women she knows (and this probably goes for a lot of you who also know me). I am a professional musician, teacher, diesel mechanic, truck driver, preacher, truck driver, chef, baker, accountant, personal assistant, trail blazer, adventurer, safari guide, theatre lover, outdoors lover, and who knows what else. I've picked up so many different skills and talents but seem almost random and strange but much needed in overseas ministry. I used to have no interest in working on vehicles but now its one of my favorite things to do, especially working on my overland truck- Maverick. It's amazing what God can do through you when you open up your life to Him. The possibilities are endless!
So any woman that is reading this, I want to encourage you. There is nothing that limits you! Do not view yourself with lack or below standard. You can do anything you desire. God will use you in awesome ways, whether it's to preach the Gospel in the rural areas of Africa or to raise your children in a Christian home. He will use you if you are willing!

On a side note: please pray for the rains to come here in Zambia. We've have a few showers but the farmers in the villages are anxiously waiting the rains to kick in to the fullest. The should already have started planting for the first harvest but cannot until the rains come. Everyone depends on good rains during this season in order to survive the year.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Mrs. Bloomsbury said...

Hey Laura -
Just wanted to say thanks for sharing. I have a good friend who is a single woman doing ministry in another country. She has shared with me several times her struggles and I think this will help to encourage her, so I passed it along.
~sarah~