Thursday, October 9, 2014

Adjustments

In every season we life we have things we need to adjust to. As a missionary I often find coming back home to America a big adjustment. I don't realize how much I've adapted to the Zambian culture until I find myself back home.

There are little things that my family and friends like to point out, my weird accent in particular. My mom pointed out my patience in restaurant the other day when food was taking longer then usual. To me it was still fast service!

Then there's always the first trip to the grocery store or Wal-Mart! The many options can be so overwhelming. An entire aisle for crackers?!

While I was out on a run in my neighborhood the other day, I realized another adjustment. I said hello to a man while I passed him and he looked at my like I had two heads! In Zambia we wave at everyone as we pass! It makes me sad that people don't talk more to each other in America.

I think this is one adjustment I'm going to fight. Our entire walk with Christ is based on relationships. You can never have a relationship with someone if there isn't an initial "hello." Next time you catch yourself passing by someone, take a minute just to say hi. You never know who God is putting in your path!

No comments: